The National Curriculum for Mathematics (2014) aims to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
At Colnbook C of E Primary School we achieve these aims in a variety of ways.
In every Maths lesson children practice and develop their counting fluency; forwards and backwards from a given number, in multiples, negative numbers, odd and even and across hundreds and thousands barriers.
The learning of number facts (number bonds and times tables) is an important skill to learn for all children. It helps them access all other areas of maths learning and problem solving. All classes have a daily ‘Maths Must’ session where they chant, sing and rehearse these number facts to develop their fluency.
Rising Stars Mathematics
In Maths lessons, we use the Rising Stars Mathematics as guidance. Children are taught calculation skills and apply these to real life contexts and to solve reasoning problems. They are regularly encouraged to explain their thinking and how they have arrived at their answer.
To find out the calculations strategies your children are using please read our calculation policy here.
Children are explicitly taught the mathematical vocabulary that they need to use in each unit of maths – this supports them in their reasoning and problem solving skills.
How can I support my child?
- Regular counting and practicing of number bonds and times tables
- Allowing them to handle money and pay for things in shops
- Measuring ingredients and cooking together
- Use your child’s Mathletics login: https://community.mathletics.com/signin/#/student